Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm in no mood to be 'inspired' but apparently my mood doesn't get a say.

So for whatever reason, in the last hour or so I've felt like sobbing, for NO reason. I've got nothing to cry about. I'm guessing it's a result of spiking my coffee and reading a history book about slavery.

For one, I actually like this book. It's called Bury the Chains by Adam Hochschild and instead of focussing on the tortures of that idiotic institution (although he doesn't ignore them either) it's about how the heck it got abolished in the first place. He focusses each chapter on a specific person in the process so it's very easy to connect to and doesn't read much like a history book.

He also throws in fun facts like why Quakers say 'thee' and 'thou' instead of 'you' or the character behind the person who wrote 'Amazing Grace'. You should definitely read it if you have the chance.

So I know I haven't posted in awhile, it's been a busy week. I catsat for a couple who went to Ethiopia to adopt 2 children. Of course one of the cats decided to go missing about an hour before they came home and I still have no idea where she was hiding given that I tore that apartment up looking for her. She showed her face while I was telling them that she was possibly lost. As a result of this though, I got to meet the kids who were so cute and surprisingly happy. The three year old was so excited and wanted to explore everything and I got to teach her how to turn on the tv which I'm sure the parents loved it. Nevermind the fact that she was surrounded by people she could barely communicate with or she had been on a plane for the better part of a day just an hour before. I honestly was expecting her to be more cautious and withdrawn after all she's been through but I forgot that kids are so adaptable. Now she and her brother are in a loving family with a whole network of supporting friends (you should have seen the kids' room that got set up in less then a month) and even better, her parents seem like they are going to keep trying to incorporate their own culture in their lives instead of completely Americanize them.

The wanting to break down sobbing feeling has passed with this post though! yay! Writing things out only intensified these random feelings before so I wonder what's different. I guess I'll figure it out with time.

1 comment: