Thursday, September 9, 2010

Deiva Marina - Apartment 2 08/28-08/31


So we moved to our new digs in Deiva Marina Saturday Morning and spent the day getting ready for 2 more friends to arrive. We'd spend the rest of our trip with them so gramma and I waved goodbye to our nice solitary week of rest and prepared again for the equally fun adventures that come with a bigger group.

This place was a little out of the way for the city...before we were like 5 blocks from the beach and now it was about a 10 minutes drive and it was basically a little apartment alongside a farm. We got out the car to watch a shepherd herd a mama sheep and her little white lamb into the barn that was right next to our patio.
After our friends arrived we all took a little nap (I mean after a really stressful day of doing nothing I really needed to just sleep it off ;) ) and then prepared a dinner of the stuff we learned over the last week. Figs and melons wrapped in Prosecetta for an appetizer, and then pesto and trofie, and a chicken dish ( i think we wrapped proscetta on this as well). It was around 9 or 10 when we were done with dinner and we were sitting in our patio outside that is lined with a hedge on one side. I hear a rustling from the hedge and since I have know idea how big the hedge is nor how big an animal has to be to make that amount of noise I started to have visions of wolves leaping out and attacking. City girl that I am I have no perspective for these kinds of situations. So after ridiculing me for awhile I finally see a small animal come from the bushes. Its dark and I think its an overweight chipmunk kind of thing but I'm told its a toad an then of course this weird shape I saw makes sense. He just hopped out and jung out in the corner of the patio for the rest of our meal. and amidst jokes of Prince Charming coming out for his kiss and some more ridicule for my panic we went back inside for bed.

Another plus about this place is that is located between 2 or 3 other churches that chime their bells in some way at every half hour so we got to experience all that church bells have to offer at all times of the night. I actually like their little jingles at the major hours and surprisingly they don't really wake you up if you are already sleeping.

On Sunday , we went to the beach in Deiva Marina while our friend slept off her jet lag. Again we rented out an umbrella and chairs already staked out on the private beach and enjoyed the day doing nothing. The water on sunday was a little rougher than the last time we went which makes keeping afloat in the ocean worth the trying to get in and out of it. I wish I had brought my boogie board from Hawaii. They also never asked us for money which we thought was weird but hey...that's their perrogative, right?

On Monday all four of us took the train to Cinque Terra. We went all the way to the end to Riomaggiore and ate a nice little fish place up there that had a great view of the pier there.


After lunch we waited for a ferry to take us to Vernazza and Monterossa and while we were waiting we met a couple from Canada who made our five weeks in Italy seem like tiny little thing compared to their epic tour of Europe and we all watched the parade of people and animals walk by.


When we got to Vernazza we immediately got a gelatto and I discovered the blue flavor called Puffo designed to advertise the upcoming Smurf movie. mmmmmmm

In Monterossa we satisfied our shopping urges considerably and spend quite a bit of time going in and out of the various tourist trap like stores. After catching the train back we headed back to the apartment and slept off the long day.

Tuesday was another beach day to let people rest from the stairs and hills of Monday and packing for Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment