Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seattle/ Portland 9/19-9/21

Hello all! I suppose you'll be wanting an update of the first leg of my trip but warning first, I'm still jet lagged so forgive me the muddled thoughts.

Sunday was our first full day in Seattle and we started off the day by heading straight back to Japonessa to indulge in bacon wrapped scallops and other various goodies that we missed out on the night before...but mostly the bacon wrapped scallops. Mmmmmmmm

Following that we walked to Pioneer Square to take Bill Spiedel's underground tour which takes us into the first level of downtown Seattle's history. Down there we got to see the various refuse of generations past and the interesting methods of reconstruction while enjoying never ending puns, which I adored. The only complaint I had was that it was too short so do it if you have the opportunity.

Afterwards we took an adventure up to Smith tower which was much more afraid of heights friendly than the space needle and got some great shots of the city, of which i'll show you later. Then we meandered over to the first nordstrom's ever and looked around a little before ending our day, a little flatly, with johnny rockets in the adjacent mall. We were going to go down to the waterfront but an epic hunt for a restroom eventually led us back to our hotel before we could enjoy the water up close.

Sunday night we decided to go to Portland on Monday, despite the fact that the only public transportation available there was the Amtrak, which is more expensive then we would of liked...but rumors of voodoo donuts and delicious Bunk's sandwiches lured us there anyway and we had an awesome 6 hours exploring the tax free state of Oregon and more specifically the fare free square of Portland. My favorite would have had to been Powell's City of Books. Which is a giant maze of used and new books. Because of the overwhelming experience of trying to choose, I chose an old favorite from Freshman year that borrowed from my roomie and always wanted to own myself, Stupid and Contagious. Read half of it on the trip back to Seattle.

We had signed up for a savor Seattle tour for Monday morning and it was awesome! Basically it was the free samples guide of Pike's market...except we paid for the tour...so not exactly free. But I have favorite restaurants there now so I'm good to go!!!!

After the tour we went back and explored Pike's a little more and discovered the Gum Wall! I got gum on my pants so I was not entirely pleased with this discovery but it was pretty cool to look at and we each contributed to the expanding wall o gum. Can't wait to show you guys pictures! I'm flying back October 2nd so except them on the 3rd.

1 comment:

  1. Too tired to edit...but apologies now for the horrific unreadability of this post. Will fix soon!

    ReplyDelete